© THE GARRISON HOTEL
Garrison Hotel, Sheffield
Now a Hotel converted from a former military guardhouse and ammunition base, the Garrison Hotel in Sheffield is brimming with character.
With entrances on both the Langsett and Penistone Roads, the Barracks were considered to be amongstthe finest and best arranged in the Kingdom, and as a military deport ranked amongst the largest in the country. The first Barracks master appointed in 1854 was Captain Francis Minchin.
The whole site is known as Hillsborough Barracks. As a grade II listed building, it represents the only surviving example of a walled Barracks in the country.
The Barracks was solidly built in a substantial scale, having a turret at every corner of the perimeter wall, stone walls four feet thick in places, and hefty oak timbers. The whole ground is irregularly shaped and is surrounded by a wall, having a tower at each of its six or eight angles. The architecture is a mixture of the Gothic and castellated style.
The Barracks were originally built and completed in 1854, built to house regiments of cavalry and infantry, but by the early 1870's, batteries of the Royal Artillery were beginning to be stationed here. One of the first was the 'Battery Royal Horse Artillery.' However, in 1897 the Barracks ceased to be used as an artillery station, and reverted to quartering a cavalry, the first being 'Squadron 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen 's Bays). This appeared as a temporary measure as the regiment left in 1899 before the '32nd Brigade, Royal Field Artillery' returned in 1901. Members of the 'Yorkshire Dragoons' and the 'Yorkshire Hussars' who had volunteered for service in South Africa during the Boer War underwent training at the Barracks in 1900.
Completion of the remaining parts of the Barracks, including a Chapel (later the institute), Hospital, Parade and Drill Grounds, Farrier's Shop, Riding School, Vetinary Infirmery and various recreational facilities, had been achieved by 1854. Later additions included Married Quarters (1859), Infants' School (1867), Gymnasium (1871), Minature Rifle Range, Vehicle Shed, Obstacle Course and additional storage (1903).
The '4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards' returned to Britain in 1856, after serving in the Crimea, and established their headquarters at Hillsborough. On 23rd June of that year, the Officers and NCOs of the 98th (Prince of Wales's) foot, also stationed at the Barracks, gave a dinner for the Guards. Later, on the 28th July, the Guards' Officers were entertained to a banquet at the Cutlers' Hall, which was attended by the Earl of Cardigan. Lord Cardigan returned to the Barracks on the 5th September 1857 to inspect the '7th (The Princess Royal's) Dragoon Guards' prior to their departure for duty in India.
An interesting anecdote was made suggesting that because the accommodation quarters had verandas, the buildings were of a design more in keeping with the Indian climate, verandas being common place in Indian barracks for airing bedding. It has been mooted that plans were mixed up and that somewhere in India is a barracks which ought to have been built in Hillsborough. Whether or not there is any truth in these stories is uncertain but the Barracks were built in Hillsborough Sheffield.
The Garrison Hotel Sheffield itself was completed in 2001 following the derelict abandoned state it had been left in, the Garrison was remastered and developed and opened as a Hotel following a fast renovation project. We are one of the few independently owned Hotels in Sheffield.